Well Liam had his surgery at KU Med on Thurs. and it went pretty well. Took about 1 1/2 long hours (for me it was long anyhow). Dr Schropp fixed his hydrocele but he did have inguinal hernias on both sides and he said the adhesion he had to fix from his circumcision was pretty large. We were lucky and got moved up to the 7:30 case and he did great not eating (since 9:30 the night before) until about 7:20 but luckily they were wonderful and took him back right away then! It was amazing to me how many people were with him....residents, nurses, dr's, etc. I bet he had 10 different people looking at him before surgery. When the anesthesiologist saw us before surgery he immediately said b/c of his prematurity and lung issues that he felt he needed to stay the night for closer monitoring. This actually put me at ease b/c I must admit I was a little nervous to take him home right away (which is what the nurse told me on Wed. that we would be doing). We actually ended up in the PICU (pediatric intensive care unit--I assume for just so they could keep a close eye on him) and we were there until 10:00 that evening until we were told we were being moved to the pediatric floor b/c they needed the room and Liam was the most stable patient they had--that was good to know!!! He was a little slow to wake up which didn't surprise me but what did surprise me was the pain he seemed to be in and he didn't want to eat. The dr had told us he would just need some Tylenol and maybe Motrin but that even that was doubtful b/c typically these little guys don't seem to have much pain. Everytime he woke up he just screamed and seemed to be in horrible pain (enough so that he was requiring IV Fentanyl even into the afternoon). And he didn't eat until 4:30 in the afternoon (that was 19 hrs after his last bottle)--he had no interest at all. They had stopped his IV fluids but had to restart them b/c he wasn't eating or peeing. Boy was I glad by this time that we were staying in the hospital. He did somewhat better with eating after that though which I was so thankful. Then about 7:3o that evening I noticed he seemed to be wheezing and having a hard time clearing gunk from his throat (presumably from the breathing tube from surgery) so he ended up needing a breathing treatment as well--which made me even more glad we were in the hospital!! By the time they moved him to the peds floor he was starting to act more like my baby...happy and hungry so I was feeling more at ease!! He actually slept all night long which I didn't think he would and when he woke up at 6:00 Fri morning I knew he was feeling much better!! Only 1 of us could spend the night with him so of course his mommy stayed (he wanted nothing to do with his daddy and the only thing I could figure out was he knew his daddy has the same parts as he does and was mad at him for letting them do what they did to him...haha:)-)!!Thank you Ryan and Lindsay for taking Jason out to supper Thurs evening and letting him spend the night again!! We were discharged at 9:30 Fri morning and headed to Topeka to meet Jason's mom to pick Aynslee up. We were treated to a wondeful lunch at Red Lobster (thanks Grandma Kathleen) and came home then!! It was wonderful to be at home and be able to sleep in a bed!! Liam seems to be completely back to his normal, happy self now and we are so thankful!! We also are very thankful for all of your thoughts and prayers for him!! I'm including pics of him before and after surgery and some pics of his little incisions for those of you who are interested!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.